Alhamdulillah, we are now in the holy month of Zil Hijjah. There are numerous virtues of this month that we as Muslims should act upon.
It was reported from Sayyiduna Ibn Umar rda who said, the Holy Prophet (pbuh) have said, “There are no days greater in the sight of Allah SWT nor more beloved than doing amal during these ten days ( of Zul Hijjah ), so increase tahlil, takbir and tahmid during those days!” [Al Tabarani:Mu’jam al Kabir]
- Firstly is of course performing the haj!
- Fasting – since it was reported from the Mother of Believers, Sayyidatuna Hafsah rda that the Holy Prophet ( pbuh ) always fast during the ten days of Zul Hijjah and three days in each month. This is also the practice of the Salaf such as Ibnu Umar rda, al Hasan al Basri, Ibn Sirin and Qatadah. Those who fast on the day of Arafah, all his past and future sins would be forgiven!
- Reciting takbir, tahmid, tahlil and also salawat upon the Holy Prophet (pbuh), as reported by Imam Ahmad rda.
- Reading the Holy Qur’an
- Performing the rawatib solat.
- Performing night prayers.
- Giving alms and silaturrahim.
- Performing the qada’ of Ramadan during the ten days of Zul Hijjah as opined by Sayyidina Ibnu Umar rda.
- Strive in Allah’s path
- Teaching religious knowledge
- Teachings about the virtues of Zul Hijjah.
- Make repentance
- Make istighfar