Amongst the adab of fasting are :
- To break the fast as soon as the time for Maghrib arrived. It is sunnah to break fast with dates or at least with a drink of water. This is in accordance with the hadith of the Holy Prophet (pbuh) as narrated by Al Shaykhain, Imam Al Bukhari ( 1856 ) and Imam Muslim ( 1098 )
- To eat Sahur since it have been narrated that the Holy Prophet (pbuh) said that there is a blessing in having sahur.
- Postphone the sahur until it is almost time of Subuh prayer.
- To avoid saying bad things such as slander, fitna and such.
- To make the janabah ghusl before fajr.
- To give food to people to break their fast with.
- To give alms.
- To say the commonly known prayer during iftar – اللهم لك صمت، وعلى رزقـك أفطـرت، ذهـب الظمأ، وابتلـت العـروق، وثبت الأجر إن شاء الله